Subject: Rockbox Steering Board

Rockbox Steering Board

From: Björn Stenberg <>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 13:03:15 +0200

One of the discussions we've had during the developer conference was about the Rockbox Steering Board. Do we need it? Can it be improved? How should it work?

The consensus was that the steering board is a useful institution that we all want to keep. Its' purpose is to be a last resort in case discussions among developers get stuck and agreement can't be reached. We have never gotten ourselves into such a situation yet, and we'll be quite happy if the steering board is never needed.

If such a situation would occur, however, anyone can mail the Rockbox Steering Board on the new address and ask them to intervene. The steering board will _not_ act on its' own initiative. It is not a monitoring authority, it is only "activated" when asked to. Mails sent to are confidential and will not be made public.

What the board actually does when called upon is completely up to the board to decide. The board naturally has the option to not do anything, if it doesn't think the situation requires intervention.