Subject: Re: Rockbox: Creative Zen Port

Re: Rockbox: Creative Zen Port

From: Maurus Cuelenaere <>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 11:40:17 +0200

"Prashant Sachdeva" <> wrote:

>Hello Maurus
>I have a Creative Zen and I'm willing to help you in development of a
>Rockbox port for it. Could you please guide me as to how I can start off.
>I am a Computer Science student and I have some past experience with working
>on hardware.

I think the first thing you should do, is to get familiar with the tools: checkout current SVN, compile zenutils and try extracting Creative's firmware (have you seen ?).

As some work has been done already on the ZVM, which applies to the whole Zen line, there isn't much work left looking for an entry point to boot your own code. However, reverse engineering the Creative firmware in order to figure out how to get the hardware working isn't an easy task.
I believe there is a Linux BSP out there somewhere for an older version of the SoC inside the Zen, I think has that info, which should make that task a bit easier.

I believe though that the hardest part will be reverse engineering the FTL (Flash Translation Layer).

I hope you don't mind me CC'ing the Rockbox development list, as I don't think this info should be only privately accessible.

>Thanks and Regards,
>Prashant Sachdeva
>CSE, IIT Bombay

Maurus Cuelenaere