Subject: Re: setting to allow users to replace the "Database" menu option with pictureflow?

Re: setting to allow users to replace the "Database" menu option with pictureflow?

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 00:22:35 +1000

2010/6/10 Jonas Häggqvist <rasher_at_rasher.dk>:

> A setting to always do one or the other seems a poor choice here.

I obviously cant back this up but I have a very strong suspicion that
people would would be wanting to use the WPS integration (or at least
setting the start screen to PF) wouldn't want to use the regular
database viewer, so for those people having the setting wouldn't
inconvieniece them. Of course we could put in a option in PF to go
into the DB browser also.

On 11 June 2010 00:14, pondlife <pondlife_at_ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> I'm not sure that's the way to go.
>
> IIUC, Pictureflow is effectively an alternative way of presenting the
> database, albeit currently restricted to an Album list (i.e. a fixed query).
> In this context it is "merely" a UI replacement for the list.  (I don't mean
> to downplay it, I use it and like it...)
>
> It would make more sense to me if it were built into the existing database
> menus as an option.  For example you could navigate Database > Album >
> (PictureFlow)  for the current list.
>
> (Pictureflow) here is an option akin to (All tracks) and (Random).
>
> This could be extended later to cover any database results that are a list
> of albums or tracks.  e.g. Database > A to Z > Album > G > (Pictureflow)
> might be nice for speed of access.
>
> What do you think?
>
> pondlife

I agree with all that, but I dont see that as a reason against my
suggestion. Like I said, people wanting this dont want to press the
extra button to get into PF. Being able to pass a DB search string
into PF would be sweet (Actually being able to pass a DB search string
around *anywhere* in rockbox would be a massive injection of awesome!)

Remember, I'm not suggesting this be the default, I'm suggesting an
option for users.

Jonathan