Subject: About GIT

About GIT

From: Rafaël Carré <rafael.carre_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 02:01:44 +0200

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 23:15:46 +0200
Marcin Bukat <marcin.bukat_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Git handles merges quite good, git is used by increasing number of
> contributors. Maybe it is time to ask if git will make our life
> easier?

Here are a few nice things which could make our life easier:

- full authorship for patches (each commit has an Author field which
  can be different from the committer)
- fast merge / cherry-pick (cherry-picking can be done, but
  "(cherry picked from commit 03a6368d1144ea3597afe89d8cb209075d726962)"
  is rather confusing in an SVN tree)
- very fast pulling from remote repository

This is the only things that I have on top of my head right now

Full offline history, 1 free backup per developer are already available
with git-svn, so if no one wants to bother importing the svn tree into
a remote git repository, Subversion is fine for me.

--
Rafaël Carré