Subject: Re: svn properties

Re: svn properties

From: Rafaël Carré <rafael.carre_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 17:56:31 +0200

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 17:33:12 +0200
Frank Gevaerts <frank_at_gevaerts.be> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 05:27:03PM +0200, Rafaël Carré wrote:
> > I think you should always save files with Unix line endings,
> > regardless if eol-style is used or not.
>
> Some editors may not support that easily.

I assumed no existing editor can't handle \n

In another mail I mentioned notepad.exe (from windows XP, I'm not sure
what notepad.exe from Vista and above does) is the only editor to my
knowledge which can't read/write \n

Then I also assumed no one develops with notepad.exe

If I was wrong then of course we should use eol-style=native

> > At least for people like me who use git-svn, it makes things much
> > simpler.
>
> So people might have to change their preferred tools because your
> preferred tool doesn't handle the standard way to set line endings in
> svn?

no, that's not what i said and/or meant

---
The standard way to set line endings is a text editor, not a version
control system
To quote the subversion doc:
"So, typically, Unix programs treat the CR character present in
Windows files as a regular character (usually rendered as ^M)"
I just checked that my text editor in fact renders it correctly, so
this is not correct today.
So this "typically" comment is outdated, afaics.
The problem is when a text file mixes the 2 line endings, then \r will
be shown as ^M in my text editor.
"and Windows programs combine all of the lines of a Unix file into one
giant line because no carriage return-linefeed (or CRLF) character
combination was found to denote the ends of the lines."
I think this is equally outdated. Windows users might confirm or infirm.
--
Rafaël Carré