Subject: Re: svn properties

Re: svn properties

From: Rafaël Carré <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 19:40:21 +0200

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 17:33:12 +0200
Frank Gevaerts <> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 05:27:03PM +0200, Rafaël Carré wrote:
> > I think you should always save files with Unix line endings,
> > regardless if eol-style is used or not.
> Some editors may not support that easily.

So to support developers with those hypothetical editors, we should set
eol-style to native / or CRLF.

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 23:28:24 +0200
Frank Gevaerts <> wrote:

> Setting eol-style to native clearly is wrong then. I don't think that
> means we should drop eol-style entirely though, setting it to LF is
> probably a better idea

So we should set eol-style to LF.

Well, you don't know.
I'm not better because me neither.

But here are a few things I know:

$ git ls-files | wc -l
$ svn propget -R svn:eol-style svn:// |
grep native\$ | wc -l
$ svn propget -R svn:eol-style svn:// |
grep \ LF\$ | wc -l
$ svn propget -R svn:eol-style svn:// |
grep CRLF\$ | wc -l
$ for i in `git ls-files`;do file $i;done|grep CRLF|wc -l

Some files need \n line endings (mostly scripts): save them with \n,
windows text editors can handle them.

Some files need \r\n line endings (windows scripts): save them with
\r\n, unix text editors can handle them.

We need a consensus for other files: save them with \n, after all we
are using unix tools, and windows text editors can handle them.

> > At least for people like me who use git-svn, it makes things much
> > simpler.
> So people might have to change their preferred tools because your
> preferred tool doesn't handle the standard way to set line endings in
> svn?

Looking at this again after some time, it still reads like you're
trolling me.

I suppose it's because like me, you don't like unnecessary changes.
"Don't fix what ain't broke."

But here, it's broke.

Problems with setting svn:eol-style have been listed in this thread

I'll apply this solution in a few days:

- Add "Don't set svn:eol-style" in UsingSVN
- Remove svn:eol-style property from every file in trunk
- Convert files with \r\n or a mix of \n and \r\n to \n only
- Let sapi_voice.vbs use \r\n line endings
- Not modify apps/lang/* : some files here use a BOM, some do not, some
  use \n, some use a mix of \r\n and \n. Well I leave that to the
  responsibility of the translators, afaict our tools can handle every

Unless of course someone mentions a case where this would break her

And a hypothetical 1990 windows text editor is not a valid case.
AFAIK People using windows use modern text editors like notepad++,
eclipse, which all handle different line endings.

And well, if a developer used such an ancient and broken text editor,
she would have surely noticed there was a problem while editing one of
the 3324 (more than 50%) files which haven't this property set.

Well, unless this developer was limited to one of the 33 files which
use CRLF line endings.

Rafaël Carré being trolled badly