Subject: Re: svn properties

Re: svn properties

From: Frank Gevaerts <frank_at_gevaerts.be>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 19:58:38 +0200

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 07:40:21PM +0200, Rafaël Carré wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 17:33:12 +0200
> Frank Gevaerts <frank_at_gevaerts.be> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 05:27:03PM +0200, Rafaël Carré wrote:
> > > I think you should always save files with Unix line endings,
> > > regardless if eol-style is used or not.
> >
> > Some editors may not support that easily.
>
> So to support developers with those hypothetical editors, we should set
> eol-style to native / or CRLF.

No. I definitely didn't say that. See my other mail.

> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 23:28:24 +0200
> Frank Gevaerts <frank_at_gevaerts.be> wrote:
>
> > Setting eol-style to native clearly is wrong then. I don't think that
> > means we should drop eol-style entirely though, setting it to LF is
> > probably a better idea
>
> So we should set eol-style to LF.
>

> Well, you don't know.

I do.

> I'm not better because me neither.
>

> But here are a few things I know:
>

> $ git ls-files | wc -l
> 6443
> $ svn propget -R svn:eol-style svn://svn.rockbox.org/rockbox/trunk |
> grep native\$ | wc -l
> 3119
> $ svn propget -R svn:eol-style svn://svn.rockbox.org/rockbox/trunk |
> grep \ LF\$ | wc -l
> 4
> $ svn propget -R svn:eol-style svn://svn.rockbox.org/rockbox/trunk |
> grep CRLF\$ | wc -l
> 1
> $ for i in `git ls-files`;do file $i;done|grep CRLF|wc -l
> 33
>
> Some files need \n line endings (mostly scripts): save them with \n,
> windows text editors can handle them.

Can they?

> Some files need \r\n line endings (windows scripts): save them with
> \r\n, unix text editors can handle them.

Can they? All the commonly used ones?

> We need a consensus for other files: save them with \n, after all we
> are using unix tools, and windows text editors can handle them.
>
> > > At least for people like me who use git-svn, it makes things much
> > > simpler.
> >
> > So people might have to change their preferred tools because your
> > preferred tool doesn't handle the standard way to set line endings in
> > svn?
>
> Looking at this again after some time, it still reads like you're
> trolling me.
>
> I suppose it's because like me, you don't like unnecessary changes.
> "Don't fix what ain't broke."
>
> But here, it's broke.
>
> Problems with setting svn:eol-style have been listed in this thread
> already.

No. People have been saying that they can't be bothered to set it.
That's not "listing problems"

> I'll apply this solution in a few days:
>
> - Add "Don't set svn:eol-style" in UsingSVN

I strongly object to this.

> - Remove svn:eol-style property from every file in trunk

I strongly object to this.

> - Convert files with \r\n or a mix of \n and \r\n to \n only

yes. Things should be made consistent.

> - Let sapi_voice.vbs use \r\n line endings

That's probably correct

> - Not modify apps/lang/* : some files here use a BOM, some do not, some
> use \n, some use a mix of \r\n and \n. Well I leave that to the
> responsibility of the translators, afaict our tools can handle every
> case.

I'd vote to fix them, but I don't care much.

> Unless of course someone mentions a case where this would break her
> setup.
>
> And a hypothetical 1990 windows text editor is not a valid case.
> AFAIK People using windows use modern text editors like notepad++,
> eclipse, which all handle different line endings.
>
> And well, if a developer used such an ancient and broken text editor,
> she would have surely noticed there was a problem while editing one of
> the 3324 (more than 50%) files which haven't this property set.
>
> Well, unless this developer was limited to one of the 33 files which
> use CRLF line endings.
>
> --
> Rafaël Carré being trolled badly

*and* responding in the same way, apparently

Frank