Subject: Communication (was: Cowon D2 EABI)

Communication (was: Cowon D2 EABI)

From: Dominik Riebeling <dominik.riebeling_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 21:16:20 +0200

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Mike Giacomelli <giac2000_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> For what its worth, this whole project has some communication issues.  For thosewho don't closely follow the mailing list or IRC logs its often hard to knowwhats going on.

I agree, but from my perspective the main problem is that too much
discussion happens in IRC and almost none on the ML. It's much easier
to follow ML discussions than IRC if you don't have the time to be
active on IRC all day: on a ML I have subject lines that give me an
easy way to filter messages, and if my client isn't totally broken I
can group threads so they aren't interleaved with other things (which
does happen all the time on IRC). Discussions on the ML are also
slower due to the nature of the medium. Which is a good thing
especially for debatable stuff IMO, as it also gives people who aren't
around at the time of the initial discussion the opportunity to take
part before the discussion is over. Taking part on a IRC discussion
that happened 12h ago is almost impossible. Also, reading all IRC logs
is quite time consuming, and I'm rather sure that several developers
(and I definitely can count myself in here) simply don't find the time
to read all the IRC conversations.

Having more discussion on the ML instead of IRC (like the discussion
about EABI that's been going on "since months") would make it *much*
easier to follow. I'm not convinced about some blog-like site helping
with those communication problems. It could be nice to sum up ML
discussions for users, though. However, I don't think it would work
for general development discussions.

 - Dominik