Subject: Re: [RaaA] Weekly status report

Re: [RaaA] Weekly status report

From: Maurus Cuelenaere <mcuelenaere_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:04:03 +0200

Op 23-06-10 11:47, Björn Stenberg schreef:
> Maurus Cuelenaere wrote:
>
>> I was wondering, how do you plan to handle the different screen
>> dimensions at runtime? For some platforms this isn't needed (Maemo only
>> has N900), but for others this is a requirement (Android, WinCE,
>> iPhoneOS, ..).
>>
> Android supports resolution specific resources, so you can precompile for a specific set of resolutions.

It does, I'm not sure how easily accessible it is from native code but
this could be a solution for the plugins and WPS.

However this will require that every time a new device with another
resolution pops up, we will need to generate new images and WPS'es and
push a new version to the market.

Another thing that popped into my mind is rotatable screens, will we
support it?

> I think the iPhone is actually even more static. Just witness the sea of "HD" apps that came out for the iPad resolution. I don't know for sure though.

I hadn't even thought of the iPad, I was referring to the upcoming
iPhone which has a resolution of 960x640 pixels (old one has 480x320).

Also, using the host's font rendering system instead of our owns is
something to think about (we could then have a layer between those which
sets the font size according to the device's screen dimensions).

--
Maurus Cuelenaere