Subject: Re: [RaaA] Weekly status report

Re: [RaaA] Weekly status report

From: Thomas Martitz <thomas.martitz_at_student.htw-berlin.de>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 17:53:06 +0200

Am 23.06.2010 11:26, schrieb Maurus Cuelenaere:
> I was wondering, how do you plan to handle the different screen
> dimensions at runtime? For some platforms this isn't needed (Maemo only
> has N900), but for others this is a requirement (Android, WinCE,
> iPhoneOS, ..).

I didn't have plans yet :)

> I haven't seen much discussion towards this (though I haven't been on
> IRC for some time), but I do think this is an important point.
>
> The obvious solution to this is defining LCD_HEIGHT and LCD_WIDTH as
> variables and not building plugins, but I'm not sure how flexible the
> apps/ layer is w.r.t. to these changes.

As your patch shows, most of the code doesn't require huge changes. The
only problem is the bitmaps (both built-in and loaded from disk) but
this should be fixable by including versions for more than 1 screen
dimension in the package. And sure themes wouldn't work easily.

> Also, using the host's font rendering system instead of our owns is
> something to think about (we could then have a layer between those which
> sets the font size according to the device's screen dimensions).

That would be nice indeed, but I don't know how feasible it is.

> Another thing that popped into my mind is rotatable screens, will we
> support it?

Sooner or later, I hope, but it looks more like later. In fact, people
are asking for rotatable screens since years for classic target ports as
well.

Best regards.