Subject: Re: CRC checks in codecs

Re: CRC checks in codecs

From: Jonathan Gordon <>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 16:36:23 +1000

On 30 June 2010 16:21, pondlife <> wrote:
> We ought to be able to pass random data into any codec without fear of a
> crash - maybe try renaming some other files to .mp3 and playing them?

To be honest,I think that is silly, if the point of removing this
check is to speed the codec up, wouldnt it be negated by any error
checking which would need to be added to make sure it doesnt blow up
if the AAC codec gets a MP3 instead?

If we want error checking then we should use whatever the codec gives
up (crc in this case), especially when the gain isnt really that much.