Subject: Re: getting in early... the android apk plan?

Re: getting in early... the android apk plan?

From: Jonas Häggqvist <rasher_at_rasher.dk>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 05:11:18 +0200

On 11-08-2010 03:20, Jonathan Gordon wrote:

> The test builds Thomas has been building are built with a single
> librockbox.so which is for a single screen size. This file is about
> 800kb and is very hard to update (impossible even?) without rebuilding
> the whole apk. If we continue with this method then we either need to
> setup an apk for each lcd size (yuck) or we build a separate
> librockbox.so for each lcd size and have only the needed one loaded
> (but all will be in the apk). This of course means a couple of MB
> which isn't much but most people have very tight mobile data
> allowances.

The download size is listed on the market. If people are worried about
their data allowance, they can install over wifi. I don't think we should
be that worried about the size of the apk.

> The other problem with this is when it comes time to do an update the
> whole thing needs to be downloaded again. Do we want android to be the
> only target which cant run the svn builds and users are forced to only
> use the builds we push to the market (or make available on the site).

I think it would be perfectly reasonable if the market contains only the
latest release and we host snapshot apks on rockbox.org which people can
install and update as they please.

> The other option is not building the librockbox.so into the apk at all
> but instead download it on first run, or try to load rockbox.zip from
> the sdcard. This allows the user to use whichever build they want, it
> means it can be integrated into the build system more simply, and we
> only ever need to update the .apk when the java changes (or we use
> that to try to force users onto the new releases).

This seems like you want to completely bypass the market update mechanism.
It doesn't sound right to me.

--
Jonas Häggqvist
rasher(at)rasher(dot)dk