Subject: Re: getting in early... the android apk plan?

Re: getting in early... the android apk plan?

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:21:44 +1000

2010/8/11 Jonas Häggqvist <rasher_at_rasher.dk>:
> On 11-08-2010 03:20, Jonathan Gordon wrote:
>
> The download size is listed on the market. If people are worried about their
> data allowance, they can install over wifi. I don't think we should be that
> worried about the size of the apk.

Agreed although I dont think we should go out of our way to make it
bigger than necessary.

> I think it would be perfectly reasonable if the market contains only the
> latest release and we host snapshot apks on rockbox.org which people can
> install and update as they please.
>
> This seems like you want to completely bypass the market update mechanism.
> It doesn't sound right to me.

Yes and no. I guess it depends how you tihnk about the apk. IMO it
acts more like the bootloader on other targets and so should be
treated more like that. Only being updated when needed. The code it
launches should be easily user update-able.

In IRC it was suggested (cant remember by who) that we do two apps in
the market, one which only runs the release build and one which gets
updated much more frequently (like from svn builds (which I think is
too often to use the market for this.)

That would be a (almost-)happy compromise for me. The problem is that
users wanting to do their own builds would still need to go through a
rather large effort in getting the android sdk going, building the
apk, then signing it so they can give it to friends. It is FAR better
for everyone if the official rockbox apk will just happily load any
rockbox.zip (just like the ipod bootloader will load any
rockbox.ipod).

Heck I'd even be happy with a single rockbox.apk which is only updated
for releases which has all the lcd sizes built into it if it has
support for loading a rockbox.zip.

Jonathan