Subject: Re: getting in early... the android apk plan?

Re: getting in early... the android apk plan?

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 18:37:20 +1000

On 11 August 2010 17:08, Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> On 2010-08-11 03:20, Jonathan Gordon wrote:
>>
>> The other problem with this is when it comes time to do an update the
>> whole thing needs to be downloaded again. Do we want android to be the
>> only target which cant run the svn builds and users are forced to only
>> use the builds we push to the market (or make available on the site).
>
> I think we want the Android version to behave like a regular Android
> application. In this case it means that it should be updated via Android
> Market like all other apps. It will only be inconvenient for the user if we
> invent our own update mechanism.
>
> Linus

Right, but without some mechanism to load a newer build of rockbox (or
a user build) it means than the android target can only run builds we
release, which goes against the whole svn build system (imo).

If a new build is pushed to the market every single commit then that
would be painfully annoying for users. If a new build is only pushed
on releases then there is no room for the nightly/svn builds or even
custom builds unless users want to repackage it themselves (and sign
it with their own key which would mean they couldnt then use our
build).

Or, we add that mechanism and everyone is happy.