Subject: Album sort order

Album sort order

From: Alan Peter Fitch <>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 22:13:14 +0100

On 25/08/10 21:43, Alan Peter Fitch wrote:
> On 24/08/10 00:47, Thomas Martitz wrote:
>> On 24.08.2010 01:40, Alan Peter Fitch wrote:
>>> I've been playing with the database to add the possibility to sort
>>> albums by "albumsort" field (because I've used the albumsort field in my
>>> music files).
>> Please have a look at
>> I would be interested in some work on it.
> Hi Thomas,
> I've applied that patch to r27875, which involved a certain amount of
> hacking.
> I'm trying to test it with a set of .ogg files which have the albumsort
> field set.
> If I enable logging in metadata/vorbis.c I can see the albumsort tag
> being read in with the correct value.
> However it's not appearing in the database (database_10.tcd) - instead
> it's just using the standard album tag. I think that's because there's
> an "addfallback" macro in the patch which uses the album tag if the
> albumsort tag is not found.
> I'm trying to track down what's going wrong, but I'm having trouble
> finding exactly where the data from the .ogg files gets read in. I guess
> it somehow gets triggered from the database initialize, but I can't find it.
> Any ideas?
> kind regards
> Alan

I know it's bad form to follow myself up :-)

I found the problem - I had not updated the parse_tag procedure with the
changes in the patch.

Now my albums are being displayed in AlbumSort order instead of just

I guess the next question is what to do - should I update the patch and
add it back to tracker 7287?

Alan Fitch