Subject: Re: RSB vote time

Re: RSB vote time

From: Frank Gevaerts <frank_at_gevaerts.be>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 00:15:38 +0200

On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 11:56:17PM +0200, Antony Stone wrote:
> On Friday 03 September 2010 at 22:09, Frank Gevaerts wrote:
>
> > Each committer has the opportunity to vote for 5 people they want on the
> > board, each name is one vote.
>
> Just out of interest, is 'committer' something which one becomes by committing
> to the Rockbox code, but one can never cease being, even if one's only
> committment was (say) five years ago?

It's anyone with svn commit access (although it's slightly more complicated,
see below)

> Or is there a mechanism whereby committers expire?

No, although there's some sort of half-exception. When rockbox switched
from cvs to svn a few years ago (before my time, so what I'm saying here
is what people told me, don't be too upset if it's a bit inaccurate), all
then-current committers were contacted to set them up with a working svn
account and password. Not everyone replied, so not all those "old"
committers currently can commit to the official repository. It's my
understanding though that if and when those people get back in touch,
they will be considered full committers.

> I just wonder whether the people eligible to vote are the people who are
> currently most involved, and possibly more importantly, whether the people
> being voted for are the people still most in touch with the project.

It's likely that people who can vote will only do so if they're still somehow
involved in the project, and that people will not vote for someone who
hasn't been seen since a while.

(Note that while I think that what I said is *likely*, I don't want to
imply in any way that people who aren't very involved any more shouldn't
vote, or that one should only vote for people who were active recently.
I really want to stress that *all* committers can vote, for *all*
committers)

Note also that this is the third time that this vote takes place. The vote
hasn't been mentioned on this mailing list before because we have other
(more private) ways to contact committers. This year we sent it to this
list anyway, explicitely to make sure we don't miss out anyone.

Frank