Subject: Re: jdgordon: r28078 - trunk/apps/radio

Re: jdgordon: r28078 - trunk/apps/radio

From: Thomas Martitz <thomas.martitz_at_student.htw-berlin.de>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 18:33:36 +0200

Am 15.09.2010 17:28, schrieb Amaury Pouly:
> You seem to always think about the users but I think you are missing
> the point. Developers too want clear commit messages (or at the very
> least, several people on this ML have shown interest in good commit
> messages).
> When I sync my repo with the SVN, *I* read the log and hate having to
> loop through the list of modified files because the commit is bad or
> doesn't mention what is modified. And thinks like "grumble", "woops",
> "oops", "3rd time lucky" don't really help.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Am 15.09.2010 08:54, schrieb Jonathan Gordon:

> From a developers point of view a short and to the point message is
> 100x better than a long winded one when the short one will do.

"grumble", "woops", "oops", "3rd time lucky" are hardly "to the point".
They're completely out of context and meaningless. I doubt you meet your
own criteria here (commit messages being useful for developers).

> If you
> dont know what the term bugger means then there is this thing called
> the internet which I'm pretty confident you know how to use to educate
> yourself.

I don't see why _all others_ others should suffer from your laziness.
You proposed some time intensive jobs here, all of which wouldn't be
needed if you sat back a few seconds to improve your commit messages
(btw they also often have typos, which shows how little you actually
care while you're writing them).

> USERS SHOULDNT BE USING THAT LOG TO GET PROJECT UPDATES. That is the
> problem here.

Why not? I think that's perfectly legitimate. Getting users to read
commit messages (and commit diffs at later point) is a good invitation
for hacking on our code as well. Plus, while I don't think we need to
design commit messages due suit users, I also doubt we need to obfuscate
them so they don't read them.

Good commit messages which leave little to zero questions open for other
devs is helping collaboration as well. Hiding changes behind meaningless
commit messages, effectively forcing everyone to read the diff, on the
other hand damages collaboration.

Best regards.