Subject: Re: A commit message template?

Re: A commit message template?

From: Amaury Pouly <>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 20:46:28 +0200

> Also, I think that a "template" or "guidelines" on how to do the commit
> message will make you think one extra time before you fire away the commit,
> and in the long run that doesn't only improve the message and explanation of
> the change, it does in fact also often make you rethink your change once
> more and possibly change it before you send it off. At least I can witness
> that it has had that effect on me

If I can just add something, I would say, either:
* don't change anything and kill people who do commit things with bad
messages :)
* apply fully and completely this commit template and don't tolerate

Going half-way is a bad idea, there will be no benefit if only part of the
developpers follow the template.
I personally don't see any problem going for a template message.