Subject: Re: A commit message template?

Re: A commit message template?

From: Jens Arnold <>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 23:03:28 +0200

>> complaining about commit messages except extremely trivial commits, so
>> really all this would do is slow down actual development and make
>> committing either more controversial (in that not doing it right could
>> potentially blow up every time) or more annoying.
> I disagree.
> First, yes it will slow down the actual commit with a few seconds or
> minutes for the single individual that does that work.

I'm all for setting some basic guidelines for what a commit message
should contain, but I don't like the idea of a strict template. This is
mostly for technical reasons though.

I started hacking rockbox using cygwin, and cygwin svn doesn't set an
editor, probably because the default cygwin installation doesn't contain
one. So I became used to using the -m option for the commit message, and
that makes it very difficult to do line breaks. When switching to a
linux VM later, I kept this habit, mainly because I can't find a cui
editor that doesn't annoy me.

I also think that pre-wrapping is worse than just letting the viewer
tool do it. Sometimes it's useful to have separate paragraphs though.

Just my € 0.02