Subject: Re: Release 3.7, freeze on monday

Re: Release 3.7, freeze on monday

From: Thomas Martitz <thomas.martitz_at_student.htw-berlin.de>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 20:08:49 +0200

  On 08.10.2010 19:11, Rafaël Carré wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 18:16:42 +1100
> Jonathan Gordon<jdgordy_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> Amazingly we have enough consensus to get a release done!
>> So, I propose we freeze on Monday 11th and release sometime in the
>> week of the 18th.
> OK with me,
>
> Do we branch immediately on Monday to leave the trunk open for business?
>
> Last times we froze for 1 week, then branched, then released 1 week
> after.
>
> IMO it was a bit long, and since there has not been major features in
> the trunk recently we could branch immediately and skip the freeze
> period.

I don't find it too long.

And if it were to long we should rather skip the branch phase, since the
freeze one is there so that bug fixes don't needed to be committed twice
(to both branches). But I think the freeze phase is a lot more useful
than the branch phase (which tends to make people lose focus on the
release again because trunk is open for development).

That said, I think it would be nice to make the freeze 10 days, with RC
builds immediately before and after, then 4 days branching. But the
current model isn't too bad.

Best regards.