Subject: Re: The next release

Re: The next release

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 08:46:59 -0500

  On 10/12/2010 3:02 AM, Marcin Bukat wrote:

> I don't like discontinuity in release numbering. For me such practice
> is pure marketing.
>
> Marcin Bukat

Release numbering is pure marketing in the first place. "3.7" doesn't
mean anything useful other than "it came after any number lower than this."

A Major.Minor system where we go from 3.7 to 3.8 to 3.9 to 3.10 to 3.11
and don't change the Major number until something significant occurs
creates a way for users to quickly understand when the releases are
incremental vs when some major change has occurred. You may call this
"marketing" but it's also "communication with the users." Meanwhile, if
we go from 3.7 to 3.8 to 3.9 to 4.0 to 4.1, the version number no longer
communicates anything but sequence and we may as well have just used the
SVN revision of the release in the first place.