Subject: Re: rolling stable builds

Re: rolling stable builds

From: Alex Parker <parker.alex.e_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 11:40:23 +0200

As can be seen from the IRC conversation linked, I'm all for this. For what
goes in, I agree with what both Frank and Jonathan have said. As for when
we release them, whilst I think they need to be part of the build system so
that we can see that they at least build on commits, I think we need someone
to make the decision as to when a big enough bug has been fixed/too much
time has gone by. They can then produce the builds etc. I don't remember
suggesting a certain amount of time as a rule between trunk and branch
commits - I think what I did say is that if the committer feels that a pause
is a good idea to check no new bugs have been introduced, then the release
manager could remind them after a few days, or if e.g. they want to send a
patch to the release manager at the same time as they commit, then after a
few days the release manager could apply the patch to the branch. I'm just
trying to think of ways of having more frequent bug fix releases without
overburdening the developers too much. This would of course then allow more
leeway in the major release timetable if for some reason we felt a delay
was desirable when the time for a major release comes around.

In terms of volunteering, I can't help on the back porting side, but I'd be
willing to volunteer to act as the release manager - prod people if a fix
needs backporting, keeping an eye on when to do a point release, doing
release builds etc. Of course this shouldn't all be on the say so of a
release manager - anyone can pipe up and say that e.g. a fix they have just
committed is worthy of a point release :)

I do think this would be a good thing - lots and lots of people prefer to
use a stable release (even if it is only stable in name!), and this would go
someway to help fixing the current situation where the choice is either to
be a few months out of date, or to use the bleeding edge current build.

Alex