Subject: Re: rolling stable builds

Re: rolling stable builds

From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 09:22:47 +0200

On 2010-10-19 05:17, Jonathan Gordon wrote:
> My view would be that any bugfix for a flyspray task would be a
> candidate to go in the stable branch. Fixes which are too fiddly to
> backport would probably miss out (or at that point we talk about a new
> minor stable build (but 3.7.3 -> 3.8)).

I think that this is a great idea. Backporting bugfixes to the stable
branch is IMHO the way to go.

> I was really hoping to get more feedback, if no one cares about
> talking about it there is a good chance no one will bother with the
> work of keeping the stable branch updated and tested and working. This
> simply wont work if only a few people look after the branch.

As I see it, the biggest problem we have today is keeping up with all
the targets and being able to do proper (regression) testing. Most of us
only have a few targets, and are rarely using more than one target on a
daily basis.

I think the best solution would be to have one maintainer for each
target, who can test each release on his target before every release.

Linus