Rockbox mail archive
Subject: Feature proposal: received signal strength indicator for fm radio
Feature proposal: received signal strength indicator for fm radio
I'd like to propose a new feature:
received signal strength indication (RSSI) for fm radio
This makes it possible to show an indication of the radio signal
strength in the FMS in two ways:
* as a number (in the logarithmic unit dB microvolts, or dBuV)
* as a graphic, for example a little antenna with a variable number
of bars next to it (similar to how we show volume).
This will need several steps to be done:
1) add support in the fm tuner drivers that can do this
2) create new tags for this, add code to parse and render the tags
3) create a WPS + RSSI graphic that actually uses the new tags
Step 1) is mostly done now, see http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/8151
Nearly all fm tuner chips support RSSI, except for the s1a0903x01.
The TEA5760 and TEA5767 support it, but update it only when changing
channel. The RSSI value is retrieved with tuner_get(RADIO_RSSI),
possible tuner-specific minimum and maximum RSSI values are #defined
and accessible through tuner.h
Steps 2) and 3) are yet to be done.
Please let me know what you think.
Received on 2010-10-24
Page was last modified "Jan 10 2012" The Rockbox Crew