Subject: Re: Making absolute point mode default

Re: Making absolute point mode default

From: Thomas Martitz <thomas.martitz_at_student.htw-berlin.de>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 00:33:15 +0200

On 27.10.2010 00:20, Paul Louden wrote:
> On 10/26/2010 5:15 PM, Thomas Martitz wrote:
>>
>> As if the grid mode was usable. In my opinion the absolute point mode
>> is much more usable even if some screens are not converted.
>
> Is there a screen that doesn't work with grid mode and cannot be used,
> or is this hyperbole and do you really just mean to say "I prefer
> absolute mode?"
>
> It would be really helpful if we can actually talk about the problem
> and solutions rather than resorting to hyperbole.

As I said in the first mail, I don't know the situation for each screen
on the other devices. But I think no new user should be confronted with
that terrible grid mode which is completely surprising and unintuitive,
independently of the device.

> I'd like to repeat my questions regarding DPI, screen size, and stylus
> vs finger - do we actually intend to treat different DPI screens with
> the same resolution differently? If not, is there any reason a "first
> draft" of these screens can't be done in the simulator, to be tweaked
> if it doesn't work well on the target?

I don't think we are going to handle different DPI. But a DPI mismatch
between the target you design for and the targets you're testing the
design on makes it more difficult nevertheless. But there's also the
point that the mouse sucks for thumb-simulation. For example I couldn't
have implemented kinetic scrolling without a device, because it's a
completely different experience with the mouse.

A "first draft" is maybe possible, but if it can't be tested if it's
usable it might end up being as bad as the grid mode (if that's even
possible). I wouldn't want to commit first drafts too.

Best regards.