Subject: Re: Making absolute point mode default

Re: Making absolute point mode default

From: Thomas Martitz <thomas.martitz_at_student.htw-berlin.de>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 01:26:29 +0200

On 27.10.2010 00:40, Paul Louden wrote:

> Since the grid mode actually works on every screen, and is quite
> usable (just unintuitive) wouldn't the obvious solution be JdGordon's
> idea of adding some visual feedback to make it more obvious that it's
> there be a good solution to keep things working.

RaaA has shown that the grid mode makes Rockbox appear broken as a
whole, while a few broken screens appears as "ah, this particular part
isn't done yet". This is what the various articles, blogs and comments
have shown.

 From LWN:

> Running the application is likely to be most confusing for the
> unprepared user, though. The traditional top-level Rockbox menu
> appears on-screen, but the result of tapping a menu entry is not what
> one would expect; indeed, the application's response to touch events
> seems to be nearly random. After digging in the forums, your editor
> stumbled across this bit of helpful advice
> <http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=14177.msg171653#msg171653>:

I cannot understand how anyone can consider it usable.

The grid mode is not usable because there's no visualization of the
borders or even its existence. And even if the borders were shown, then
you still need to guess wildly what cell is doing what. This trial and
error situation is hugely uncomfortable for people because (and this
commonly happens) pressing the wrong cell potentially leads to bad
things and major annoyance.

I actually used the grid mode for some time because there was no cabbie
for RaaA. I didn't consider it usable at any time during the 2 or more
weeks because I was still constantly doing the wrong thing.

There's a lot more to usability than just "it works".