Subject: Re: Making absolute point mode default

Re: Making absolute point mode default

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:35:21 +1100

On 27 October 2010 10:26, Thomas Martitz
<thomas.martitz_at_student.htw-berlin.de> wrote:
> On 27.10.2010 00:40, Paul Louden wrote:
>
> Since the grid mode actually works on every screen, and is quite usable
> (just unintuitive) wouldn't the obvious solution be JdGordon's idea of
> adding some visual feedback to make it more obvious that it's there be a
> good solution to keep things working.
>
> RaaA has shown that the grid mode makes Rockbox appear broken as a whole,
> while a few broken screens appears as "ah, this particular part isn't done
> yet". This is what the various articles, blogs and comments have shown.
>
> From LWN:
>
> Running the application is likely to be most confusing for the unprepared
> user, though. The traditional top-level Rockbox menu appears on-screen, but
> the result of tapping a menu entry is not what one would expect; indeed, the
> application's response to touch events seems to be nearly random. After
> digging in the forums, your editor stumbled across this bit of helpful
> advice:
>
> I cannot understand how anyone can consider it usable.
>
> The grid mode is not usable because there's no visualization of the borders
> or even its existence. And even if the borders were shown, then you still
> need to guess wildly what cell is doing what. This trial and error situation
> is hugely uncomfortable for people because (and this commonly happens)
> pressing  the wrong cell potentially leads to bad things and major
> annoyance.
>
> I actually used the grid mode for some time because there was no cabbie for
> RaaA. I didn't consider it usable at any time during the 2 or more weeks
> because I was still constantly doing the wrong thing.
>
> There's a lot more to usability than just "it works".

Thomas, take a breath and reread the thread. Noone has said that grid
mode should stay default. The only opposition you are getting is
because you want to break screens which in absolute mode will make the
user get stuck with no way out (other than reboot, which on RaaAoA is
very hard).

I personally think grid mode is unusable also, but that (and the fact
that a few people actually do and can use it) is totally irrelevant to
this particular discussion).

I've outlined 4(+1) points which I don't think are over the top to
decide when a target is ready for stylus mode (and in fact if the work
is done it will just be simple to change all current touch targets
anyway).