Subject: Re: coding style

Re: coding style

From: Antony Stone <>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 01:32:39 +0200

On Wednesday 27 October 2010 at 20:36, Amaury Pouly wrote:

> > please express your opinion
> First of all, I'm not familiar with indent so the command line is not very
> helpful. Perhaps a well chosen example would be more interesting.
> As a matter of fact, I'm not sure it's a good idea to impose a style with
> indent. The reason why the coding style is vague is to allow several
> codings styles as long as there are not too different. I've read lots of
> code in rockbox and I think the coding style is somewhat consistent.

Since it's a command line through which any arbitrary code could be pushed,
perhaps a good justification for using it as a formalised coding style would
be to pass several samples of current Rockbox code through it, and see what
changes get made (eg: with diff).

Then we have something tangible on which to base a decision about:

a) whether it's necessary
b) whether it's an improvement

"It would appear we have reached the limits of what it is possible to achieve
with computer technology, although one should be careful with such
statements; they tend to sound pretty silly in five years."
 - John von Neumann (1949)
                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.