Subject: Re: Feature proposal: received signal strength indicator for fm radio

Re: Feature proposal: received signal strength indicator for fm radio

From: Bertrik Sikken <bertrik_at_sikken.nl>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 23:05:39 +0100

On 24-10-2010 11:18, Bertrik Sikken wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to propose a new feature:
> received signal strength indication (RSSI) for fm radio

Basic support for RSSI has now been committed.

The minimum, maximum and current RSSI level can be queried from the
radio drivers that support it, there are also corresponding tags for
the FMS.
The hardcoded default FMS has been updated to show the RSSI as a
numeric value by default on players that support it.

Things to be done:
* Document the feature in the manual
* Document the tags and their usage
  (I'm not actually sure whether we really need to expose the min and
   max RSSI values with tags)
* Make the mechanism work in the simulator (e.g. show some fake but
  changing RSSI, like how we show battery percentage)
  I could use some help with this, because I'm not sure how to do it.
  The tuner driver header files contain a #define HAVE_RADIO_RSSI to
  advertise that they have the feature, but in the simulator these
  are never #included (as far as I know) so the simulator will never
  show the RSSI.
* Add possibility to show an RSSI graphic, my idea is to simply scale
  linearly (in dBuV) between the min and max RSSI values.
  IMO, we should simply regard this as RSSI, not necessarily as a
  "radio quality" indicator.

I'm neither a manual nor a tags expert, so I appreciate any help I
can get with this.

Kind regards,
Bertrik