Subject: brain dump regarding playlist management

brain dump regarding playlist management

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 16:53:02 +1100

This thread (http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=26246.0) got me
thinking about how rockbox handles playlist management. It seems to me that
it is all a bit of a mess.

I don't know if it is a broken use case or not, but the problem brought up
in the thread is that there is no way to instert one (or a few) tracks from
one playlist into another (including new file, or currently playing). The
obvious answer is to use the db or browser but there is a case against both
of these and I think it is irrelevant anyway.

So going with that these are the general changes which I think would be a
big improvement:
1) Main menu > playlists - That should open the playlist catalog instead of
the menu you get now
2) context menu on Main menu > playlists should open the current menu
3) the default action on .m3u files should be to open it in the viewer
4) the context menu in the playlist viewer needs to be changed to be more
inline with the browsers' context menus on audio files (so individual tracks
can be inserted into the current playlist or anything in the catalog)

Also, playlist catalog needs to use the filebrowser instead of some custom
list to clean i all up.

1 and 2 are trivial changes, the rest will take a bit of effort to do right
so don't really want to start before the inevitable discussion happens.

So, opinions? Other complaints about playlists that could be worked in?

Jonathan