Subject: Re: Automatic multi-resume feature for podcasts and audiobooks (FS#11748)

Re: Automatic multi-resume feature for podcasts and audiobooks (FS#11748)

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 14:10:31 -0600

On 12/15/2010 1:59 PM, David Hall wrote:

> I hear you on that point. Are you objecting to all exceptions to that rule?

Depends on how you're interpreting that rule, I may not have phrased it
*quite* right. For example, I don't see that rule as conflicting with
shuffled playback, but it might be interpreted as such. Obviously A-B
repeat could also be termed to conflict with it, but A-B repeat is
initiated on a user action and is a playback mode similar to "repeat 1"
except it's "repeat less than 1." To me "A-B" seems a much more explicit
situation than me listening to a book, stopping at chapter three, coming
back months later, starting at chapter one, and then when I get to the
file containing chapter three skipping over 20 minutes of content suddenly.

But as I said this isn't my key focus. In-playlist resuming might be
reasonable, I just think it's enough of an edge case that I'm not sure
it's warranted as being important enough for another option. I really
think this can be stripped down to something that needs minimal or no
configuration and still support the vast majority of use cases. While
it's unreasonable to expect someone to remember where they were in
seventeen different long files, it's I don't think it's too unreasonable
to ask them if they have several incomplete podcasts to play one, then
play the next when finished (or even just "queue for resume" the whole
folder or multiple files). Especially if the queue-for-resume feature is
implemented, as then that will work even for people who want to queue up
3 or 4 podcasts and have them all resume.