Subject: Re: Automatic multi-resume feature for podcasts and audiobooks (FS#11748)

Re: Automatic multi-resume feature for podcasts and audiobooks (FS#11748)

From: sideral <>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 11:07:06 +0100

Thomas Martitz <> writes:
> On 22.12.2010 10:37, sideral wrote:

>> Second, even if the current playback position would be preserved,
>> there is no simple way to return to it. You'd have to skip away from
>> the track, then play it again. Stopping the track and then resuming
>> playback wouldn't work because the Resume Playback function would use
>> the current playlist's resume point near track start, which takes
>> precedence in this case; I'd argue that anything else would be very
>> confusing.
> Well, you don't rewind to 0:00 because you plan to go back to where
> you were. You do it because you either want to go to the previous song
> in the playlist or to listen the current song from the beginning.
> Or is this wildly skipping between resume points another use case we
> need to handle?

No, it's not. I was more concerned about a user accidentally rewinding
to 0:00. But in that case it is probably reasonable to expect the user
to simply stop, then restart/resume from the database or file browser.

Thanks for sharing your idea! I'll see whether I can make it work.

A simple implementation would be to regard rewind to 0:00 as a track
stop + track restart, including all the statistics updates that entails
(increase play count and elapsed play time, etc.). Does that sound