Subject: RE: GSoC 2010 Projects

RE: GSoC 2010 Projects

From: Mike Giacomelli <giac2000_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 17:26:59 -0700

> I was browsing the Google Summer of Code project ideas from 2010 to
> find a suitable idea for my practicum. The two topics below caught my
> eye. Is one of them still available?

Yes, I suggested both of those project ideas and have only done a little bit of work on them (mostly Mp3 optimization).  Given your background I think you would be a strong candidate for either project (or possibly other optimization related tasks depending on your precise interests).  If you're interested in learning more about codecs, I suggest spending some time in our IRC channels, theres a few people who are quite knowledgeable about them (Buschel, amiconn, saratoga, mt, lear, preglow, linuxstb).
You may also be interested in our codec benchmarks:
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/CodecPerformanceComparison
Anything that looks slow there is probably fair game for a GSOC proposal.

Mike