Subject: Re: Embedded albumart

Re: Embedded albumart

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 16:49:04 -0600

On 2/13/2011 4:36 PM, David Hall wrote:
> We're both talking about edge cases, the difference I see is that if the
> priority order goes in as you state my described edge case needs a PC to
> fix. If the priority order goes in as I ask both our edge cases can be
> bandaged "in the field" with simple file manipulation (copy, paste,
> rename) from within Rockbox.

While I agree that it is handy to always be able to fix it within
Rockbox, I think the most expected result is that per-file art will
always trump per-album art in priority. But external art for a single
song should always trump embedded art for a single song, in my mind.
Embedded art can be present accidentally, but if I understand correctly,
files in the parent directory can also be used for Album Art so that one
might have a filler "artist" or "genre" image for the cases when album
art isn't present. Think that being able to fix it is "nice" but general
cases trumping specific cases is "confusing", and I think it's more
important to avoid confusing than it is to have nice, especially since
it should, I believe, be rare that there's an album image for a bunch of
files where some have album art and some do not.

It's also handy to be able to say that "the more specific case's image
will always be used, with the explicit file taking precedence over the
embedded image if there's a conflict at the per-file level."