Subject: Re: Embedded albumart

Re: Embedded albumart

From: David Hall <dmhall_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 18:42:37 -0500

On 02/13/2011 06:35 PM, Paul Louden wrote:
> On 2/13/2011 5:29 PM, David Hall wrote:

> Do you honestly think it's realistic that someone would copy a file out
> of a folder, then enter a dozen filenames in the virtual keyboard?

Dozen? Is that the bar?
A - Yes.
B - I have plenty of albums with far fewer tracks.

> can't even see the filenames of the files you're matching, and you have
> to match them character-for-character. I'm not sure such an impractical
> solution is particularly realistic, while yes it is technically possible.

Have you given up on defending your edge case and now gone after
attacking my desire and ability to use the virtual keyboard? For if we
drop the edge case arguments what is the reason NOT to put the priority
in my suggested order?

> In a similar sense, mightn't it also be technically possible to open up
> the mp3 files in the text editor, and manually edit the tags out of
> them?

Not possible within rockbox today, therefore not valid.
Even if it was, an argument ago the virtual keyboard was too much work
to rename a file but suddenly it's not too much work to use it to retag
a file?

I'm just saying, if we're going to consider impractical things on
> being technically possible... But ignoring the hyperbole, I just really
> don't think it's much of a solution.

It is more of a solution than your priority scheme offers. I never
claimed it was a compelling argument on its own, rather that it is a
tiebreaker.