Subject: Problem building voices using Cygwin

Problem building voices using Cygwin

From: Andrew Hart <>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 11:30:49 -0300

Hi folks,

I've installed the latest Cygwin release and used to build
the tool chain. The only hitch with that I had was some missing
libraries and wget, but installing those solved the problem.

I have successfully built RB for the H140 and am trying to build the
corresponding voice file. However, I'm receiving an error compiling

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ahart/rockbox/tools'
make -C rbspeex
make[2]: pkg-config: Command not found
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/ahart/rockbox/tools/rbspeex'
gcc: The -mno-cygwin flag has been removed; use a mingw-targeted

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/ahart/rockbox/tools/rbspeex'
gcc: The -mno-cygwin flag has been removed; use a mingw-targeted

make[2]: *** [build/rbspeexenc.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/ahart/rockbox/tools/rbspeex'
make[1]: *** [rbspeexenc] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ahart/rockbox/tools'
make: *** [voicetools] Error 2

I'm no guru when it comes to making things, but it seems that the
-no-cygwin flag (whatever that is) has been removed from the gcc
compiler. The cygwin installation has gcc 4.3.4 20090804 (release) 1.
The m68k-elf gcc is V4.5.2 (as installed by I'm
guessing this has something to do with rbspeexenc and rbspeexdec wanting
to be compiled without dependence on the cygwin compatibility layer, but
i'm not sure how to go about fixing it. I've beben googling, but
haven't located anything that helps as yet.
I'd be appreciative if someone could shed some light on this for me and
point me in the right direction of what I need to do in order to rectify the

Many thanks,