Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code 2011 ideas needed!

Re: Google Summer of Code 2011 ideas needed!

From: Frank Gevaerts <frank_at_gevaerts.be>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 22:42:20 +0100

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 11:44:58PM +0100, Thomas Martitz wrote:
> * Redesigning the db to allow more flexible queries and to be more
> efficient (and because the current db is practically unmaintained),
> possibly starting as a pc app

Maybe. We'll need to provide a lot of details before an outsider can
tackle this I think. Of course if one of our student-committers wants to
do it, that's different. I'm not sure if I'd put it on the official
ideas list though. Students are free after all to suggest ideas that are
not on there, and the ones I think can handle this will read about it
here in this thread.

> * Refactoring our underlying kernel so we can run on top of other
> kernels natively (we still implement our own threading library and
> kernel primitives on RaaA which is not ideal) and a tickless system -
> might possibly involve working with preemptive threads

I'm not sure I understand this one.

> * Remaking bookmarks to work properly with the database; unifying it
> with auto-resume is also an idea
> * the playlist code also doesn't work properly with the database,
> additionally the playlist viewer is buggy for long playlists due to its
> memory management: it could need a bit of love too

I suspect these can be done together. They look very related anyway.
We'd better not accept this and the database redesign at the same time
though I think, but that's probably just something to keep in mind when
choosing from the final proposals we get. I'm waiting for replies to my
other thread about this to form a firm opinion though.

> * Native widgets (lists and others) on android seems to be wanted by
> many people

Yes. I think you're the best person to expand this one :)

Frank