Subject: Re: GSoC 2011 unionfs Project Idea

Re: GSoC 2011 unionfs Project Idea

From: sideral <asieoniezi_at_gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 09:52:10 +0100

Marcelo Galvão Póvoa <marspeoplester_at_gmail.com> writes:

> I've read the tagnavi documentation and I guess it's not possible to
> create a "unionfs-like" hierarchical folder view inside the database.

AFAICT, there are two pieces that are missing for this to work.

The first is that the DB browser does not support logical-or queries
(for example, "filename matches this folder OR filename matches that
folder"). That probably could be added with minor effort. A first
simple implementation could implement logical-or with csh-like globbing
in the string matcher (filename ~ "/{foo,bar}").

The other issue is that the DB browser does not provide a hierarchical
directory view ("within this collection of tracks, present subfolders
and files hierarchically"). Perhaps this could be implemented as a
special tagnavi %format conversion specifier that invokes the regular
file browser on the union view of the matching files.

> If it were possible, it would be read-only but I think that would be a
> much easier solution. How about that?

I don't know what the person proposing unionfs had in mind. To me it's
not clear whether he'd want multiple volumes exposed as one at the
storage layer (exposing only one block device over USB), at the file
system layer (r/w or r/o?), or in the file browser. But I for one would
be quite happy with a read-only union file browser.

sideral