Subject: Re: AA fonts

Re: AA fonts

From: Jonas Häggqvist <rasher_at_rasher.dk>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 21:56:01 +0200

On 09-04-2011 21:42, Alex Parker wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Now that we have AA font support, I think it'd be nice to ship so AA fonts
> in time for 3.9 (when this feature will début).
>
> So how should these be handled? If I understand correctly, we currently
> have .bdf fonts in SVN, which are converted to .fnt when we make fonts.
> However, the AA fonts are converted directly to .fnt from .ttf using
> convttf. Do we want to store the AA .fnts directly in SVN, or do we want
> to generate them each time (in which case we would need the ttfs in SVN)?

I definitely think we should keep the source format (ttf) in SVN (just as
we keep the BDF source files).

> Also, naming - I think it'd be good to be able to distinguish AA and
> non-AA by name (so people can use which they prefer). I propose adding -AA
> to the filename, so we have e.g. 16-fontname-AA.fnt. Any thoughts?

Sounds good to me. Although perhaps it would make more sense with a
prefix, so all AA fonts sort together, and the suffix doesn't end up
off-screen? It does seem like that's the wrong order logically, but I
think it's more practical?

--
Jonas Häggqvist
rasher(at)rasher(dot)dk