Subject: Re: Playback Engine Rework - The basic rundown

Re: Playback Engine Rework - The basic rundown

From: Michael Sevakis <jethead71_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 19:45:06 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Magnus Holmgren" <magnushol_at_gmail.com>
To: "Rockbox development" <rockbox-dev_at_cool.haxx.se>
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2011 2:48 PM

> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 19:39, Michael Sevakis <jethead71_at_sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
>> It has had significant testing not only by myself for a couple months but
>> few others over the last week or so and noone has reported any issues
>> (not
>> to me anyway).
>
> I've experienced some minor issues now (on a Fuze V2):
>
> * Soon after starting playback (a few minutes perhaps), it just stops.
> Pause/play or rewind doesn't re-start playback, even if the WPS
> updates as it should. Stop and resume works though. This has happened
> two times for me now, so it isn't very frequent.
>
> * Album art doesn't always show up immediately. If I exit the WPS and
> return, it is displayed though. I haven't seen/tested it enough to
> know if it only applies to certain types of album art.
>
> --
> Magnus

Could be that I regressed some part of the buffering that comes into play
more often with smaller memory with Fuze. What Buschel is describing in IRC
could be related, but maybe not. I would like to know from each person
experiencing this:

1) Near a track transition (say, the last 2-3 seconds of a track if not
using crossfade) or not? Which audio formats are involved?

2) What are the thread states as reported by the OS stacks screen when
things are stuck? (This helps tell just who is wrong). Codec with "B" while
playing is bad and only should be present in a stopped state; it should be
"*R" or flipping "*R"/"T" really fast - be sure to change refresh timing by
holding down an inactive key or it can appears the codec threads is in one
state but is really flipping between a couple.

3) What config options?

Album art: I can see a possibility. As in the previous version, track loads
are split between essential metadata (mp3entry) and everything else. A
track-change event might be sent before the second half of the track is load
is complete. Honestly though, I haven't a clue where it finally picks up on
album art being present by asking for the buffer handle. It might miss it
depending if it asks for a bitmap handle early and is not synced with the
audio thread.