Subject: FS#12107 - Remove track-number generation heuristic from database

FS#12107 - Remove track-number generation heuristic from database

From: sideral <asieoniezi_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 08:41:22 +0200

Rockbox developers,

This is a heads-up that I'm going to remove the current track-number
guessing from database unless I face some major opposition from this
group. This heuristic seems to be getting in the way much more often
than it helps. For a detailed discussion, please see FS#12107.

Removing this feature means that, in database views, tracks that have no
track-number tag will now be sorted by track name instead of by guessed
track number. Previously, track-number guessing approximated sorting by
file name, which (I'd argue) is more general and more robust anyway. If
sorting tracks by file name is desired, the user can use either the file
browser or a custom tagnavi %format.

The only viable alternatives I see to removing the guessing feature are
to try to make it better, or to make it optional. I don't think making
the current feature optional serves any purpose; and I don't see a good
path to making it better other than offering an option for filename
sorting, which we already do.

sideral