Subject: Re: Informal poll, change to git?

Re: Informal poll, change to git?

From: Leif Andersen <leif_at_leifandersen.net>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 07:02:26 -0600

[x] Yes - switch to git
[_] No - I haven't tried git and don't see the need to change
[_] No - I have tried git and don't like it
[_] Indifferent

But to be honest, I don't find git-svn to be too bad. But than again, I
don't have commit access.

- Which tools are available for the DVCS? Portability? Decent GUIs?
> I really like to use something like TortoiseSVN for the more complex
> tasks which aren't easy to perform on the command line, or require
> remembering commands that you only need once in a blue moon.
> I personally don't care whether there is a good tool set for windows or
> linux, but there needs to be one for at least one of them, ideally both.

Most git users as far as I can tell (including myself), like the command
line toolchain more than GUIs. But there are a few of them:

Eclipse and Visual Studio both have git plugins. I haven't tried eclipse,
but visual studio's plugin is decent. QtCreator also has built in git
support.

There's also standalone git gui's, such as, git gui, and gitk. Although
they both look admittedly ugly. Several OS X users seem to love gitx.
There are still others you can try, so I will refer you to this Stack
Overflow question for more details:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1516720/git-gui-client-for-linux

> This selection of questions is actually very symptomatic of why I do
> *not* want to switch to git. Git users seem to be very unwilling to
> accept the mere existence of other similar tools as a rule, and that's
> not something I wish to be associated with.

As far as I know, most git users are okay with other tools like mercurial an
bazaar, it's just not dcvs (svn, cvs, etc.) that they dislike.

> Well, we discuss git because that's what most of DCVS-people are used to.
> Why should we discuss a DCVS nobody knows if there's one that many people
> know and appreciate?

Fair enough, but I don't see how changing the poll to include other DCVSs
besides git (hg and bzr to name two), would harm anything.

~Leif Andersen