Subject: RE: Informal poll, change to git?

RE: Informal poll, change to git?

From: Mike Giacomelli <giac2000_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 09:34:33 -0700

> This selection of questions is actually very symptomatic of why I do
> *not* want to switch to git. Git users seem to be very unwilling to
> accept the mere existence of other similar tools as a rule, and that's
> not something I wish to be associated with.

I haven't used git, but I don't think we should consider obscure version control systems because of the barrier they present to new users unless they are extraordinarily better then the alternatives. While the technical merits of a system are very important, accessibility to the community is at least as important (IMO). Obviously you and I can (and will) learn any system we need to, it seems unfair to tell people who just want to compile a patched build or develop a plugin that they need to learn some VC system no one has heard of. That is a steep barrier to the wider community.

FWIW I'm ok with git just because it seems ubiquitous in embedded projects, but SVN is also fine with me.

Mike