Subject: Re: Informal poll, change to git?

Re: Informal poll, change to git?

From: Bryan Childs <>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 18:57:19 +0100

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 6:46 PM, Paul Louden <> wrote:

> The git page on the wiki seems to be more "Why distributed version
> control" than specifically "why git."

That's a fair comment, but since this thread seems to have moved in the
direction of "we should probably at least consider other DVCS systems" I
thought it didn't matter that much.

> And while it does address some of the new things you can do with Git,
> it was asked "what will git give us?" and that page doesn't answer
> that nearly as well.

Is it *really* necessary that we do that here? There's SO much info out
there on the net about what it could do for you, that I don't see a lot of
point of trying to make it rockbox specific here, if there even IS anything
Rockbox specific about it.

> Who will benefit from a change to git? How? Specifically, what benefit
> is gained on top of what we have now (where the people wanting to use
> git can user git-svn)?

I'm not really qualified to answer those questions anyway, so I'll let the
people who are answer them.