Subject: Re: librbcodec update; directory structure discussion

Re: librbcodec update; directory structure discussion

From: Dave Chapman <dave_at_dchapman.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 18:51:13 +0100

On 16/07/11 15:38, Jonathan Gordon wrote:
> On 14 July 2011 05:36, Sean Bartell<wingedtachikoma_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> One issue raised about these changes is where the librbcodec files
>> should be moved. My current version moves them to /rbcodec, with dsp,
>> metadata, and codecs subdirectories. Saratoga is doubtful the files
>> should be moved at all [2], which means they would be copied out of
>> /apps for a librbcodec release. JdGordon thinks they should be moved to
>> /lib/rbcodec [3]. I'm inclined to put them in one directory because
>> they're becoming independent from the rest of Rockbox, and it would make
>> the build process cleaner.

> Seen as noone has replied...
> Yes I really think that the lib should be put in the libs/ directory.
> The end goal is that this should be independant of the rest of the
> code right? Leaving it in various folders in apps/ is just wrong then.

I would agree - if the goal of the project (which I hope it is) is to
turn Rockbox's codecs into a standalone lib, then moving the code into
the lib/ directory makes sense. This makes it clear that it code that
can be compiled independently of Rockbox.

I don't know what the rules are for the existing code in lib/, but I
think the ideal situation would be that it can be compiled without any
reference to code in apps/. I don't know if that will be possible though...

I haven't had much time to follow your work so far, but hope to do some
in the second half of the summer.

It would help me a lot (and I expect others) if you could list all your
flyspray patches in tabular format on your project's wiki page, with the
following columns:

* FS#
* Title of task
* SVN revision and date if it was committed

Also, I don't know if you have discussed your project goals for the
second half of the summer with your mentor yet, but one thing that I
would rate as important is to produce a packaged release of librbcodec
(or at least a script to make such a release).

Regards,

Dave.