Subject: Remove the System menu!

Remove the System menu!

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 18:29:50 +1000

Hi,
This is my view on the other thread about moving the Time & Date menu.
Get rid of the System menu. it is entirely pointless.

The items hat will be in it once T&D is moved (which sounds like a
given) are: "Rockbox info", "credits", "running time", "debug".
Rockbox info has very little actually useful information, credits can
be got from the plugins menu, running time is nothing more than a
waste of binary space, and debug serves basically no purpose and
should be disabled by default (We've already talked about disabling it
in release builds).

What I'd much prefer to see is the current "settings" menu be renamed
to "system" and either: 1) "settings" be a submenu, or 2) just copy
all the items from the current "system" menu into the new
"settings/system" menu.

The main menu order should then be:
* (hidden bookmarks)
* Files
* Database
* playlist catalogue
* resume playback
* plugins
* system

and now the main menu makes some sense. Items are prioritized from the
top down starting with ways to get to your music on to less important
items. Resume playback i pushed down because just about all targets
have a dedicated button to get there. I'd be happy to swap plugins and
system.

If the "system" menu didnt have "settings" as a submenu it would look
like this (making it very obvious what is and isnt a setting):
* rockbox info
* sound settings
* playback settings
* general settings
* Time & Date
* theme settings
* manage settings
* running time (I'd rather nuke this though)
* debug menu (remove also)
* Credits

Jonathan