Subject: Re: Remove the System menu!

Re: Remove the System menu!

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 22:29:36 +1000

On 23 August 2011 18:29, Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> This is my view on the other thread about moving the Time & Date menu.
> Get rid of the System menu. it is entirely pointless.
>
> The items hat will be in it once T&D is moved (which sounds like a
> given) are: "Rockbox info", "credits", "running time", "debug".
> Rockbox info has very little actually useful information, credits can
> be got from the plugins menu, running time is nothing more than a
> waste of binary space, and debug serves basically no purpose and
> should be disabled by default (We've already talked about disabling it
> in release builds).
>
> What I'd much prefer to see is the current "settings" menu be renamed
> to "system" and either: 1) "settings" be a submenu, or 2) just copy
> all the items from the current "system" menu into the new
> "settings/system" menu.
>
> The main menu order should then be:
> * (hidden bookmarks)
> * Files
> * Database
> * playlist catalogue
> * resume playback
> * plugins
> * system
>
> and now the main menu makes some sense. Items are prioritized from the
> top down starting with ways to get to your music on to less important
> items. Resume playback i pushed down because just about all targets
> have a dedicated button to get there. I'd be happy to swap plugins and
> system.
>
> If the "system" menu didnt have "settings" as a submenu it would look
> like this (making it very obvious what is and isnt a setting):
> * rockbox info
> * sound settings
> * playback settings
> * general settings
> * Time & Date
> * theme settings
> * manage settings
> * running time (I'd rather nuke this though)
> * debug menu (remove also)
> * Credits
>

> Jonathan

The general consensus in IRC seem to be merging the two menus is a
good idea and we are tied up on how and what to call it.
Attached are 3 diffs:
1) move_settings_into_system.diff - does what it says, makes the
settings menu a submenu of system
2) merge_menus.diff - merges the items of the two menus with a bit of
order tweaking and calls it system in the main menu
3) merge_and_call_settings.diff - same as 2 except the menu name is
"Settings". This is to keep people happy although I think this is
absolutly wrong.