Subject: Re: Discussion regarding reordering the main/root menu

Re: Discussion regarding reordering the main/root menu

From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 10:03:28 +0200

On 08/28/2011 12:41 PM, Jonathan Gordon wrote:
> My view regarding debug is that there is nothing there that is
> actually useful once a port is up and running *or during development*
> when dealing with custom builds anyway so disabling that by default
> (but adding an easy configure item to enable it) removes clutter.

 From my experience, the debug menu has been quite useful over the
years, even with "up and running" builds, and that is partly because it
is always there and enabled, in all builds. The point of the debug menu
is that it can be run by a user, when investigating a strange bug that
we can't reproduce with ouor own devices.

You can always ask the user to install a special build, but it is so
much easier to have it enabled at all times.

I think it is OK to hide it by default and let the user enable it with a
secret handshake or a configure option, but it is vital that it can be
done on the device itself, not by editing a config file.

Linus