Subject: Re: Discussion regarding reordering the main/root menu

Re: Discussion regarding reordering the main/root menu

From: Kaspar Rothenfußer <addressforads_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 10:45:47 +0200

Am Montag, den 29.08.2011, 16:34 +1000 schrieb Jonathan Gordon:
> On 29 August 2011 16:22, Johannes Linke <johannes.linke_at_gmx.de> wrote:
> > As users will need Settings way more often than System, it seems absurd to
> > give System a higher priority and move Settings one level down.
> >

> >From my origional email:
>
> As a compromise I would accept removing the settings submenu and
> moving all those items up one level if that was what was more
> preferred.
>
> ------
>
> I also dont necessarily agree with your statement
How can you be so such a stubborn dictator? As an observer, I see a 5-6
comitters majority against you.
To add a users perspective: I access the settings menu quite
regularly,especially the playback settings. Config files are a pain in
th ass, and (I think) only used in special scenarios where a user has
2-3 fixed groups of settings. Friends I have helped with installing
rockbox have never heard of the files (and call me when they want
settings changed). The manual is in general not read, as good as it is
and this won't chabge. So anything that makes the settings more visible
and accessible following user's intuition would be great. I had problems
not finding t&d in settings (where it belongs) before, but it would not
be bad to have it in a system settings subgroup with other "once and for
all" settings. Also remember that the main reason to change settings is
to change things influencing playback or how the device looks. This is
not Gnome where you have to handle external devices, Wifi access and
packet sources... so a "system" menu item seems one more useless click
to me.

Just my 2c,
Cheers,
Kaspar