Subject: Re: Discussion regarding reordering the main/root menu

Re: Discussion regarding reordering the main/root menu

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 22:37:52 +1000

On 29 August 2011 03:13, Al Le <al.le_at_gmx.de> wrote:
>> That said, a patch to even just allow simple reordering of the main
>> menu isnt going to be trivial so we should figure out a better layout
>
> I once tried to do exactly that (in FS#6718 (only the main menu) and FS#7809
> (general menu reordering with the option of hiding)), but both patches were
> rejected. I don't remebmer why exactly -- because it is (or was) a forbidden
> feature or because of the way it was implemented.

Just looking at FS#6718 now (it probably still applies cleanly!). It's
not the way I would have done it, but I see no reason other than our
customisation-phobia to not include it. a plugin frontend could easily
be added to make it more user friendly also. I'm a bit scared to look
at the other one though. I read automatic reordering and get shivers
:)

Anyway, I'd like to try and talk about the static order first, then
(or at least separately) talk about giving the user the choice.

I know this thread hasnt been going long but it would be nice to hear
from more people. we have half a dozen very similar proposals and
conservative guesses suggest 40+ active developers of which most havnt
said a word one way or another.